Law Society’s Recent Activities

The Law Society is the peak representative body of the legal profession in Tasmania (read more here).

Below are some of things we’ve been up to:

Date Activity
21/11/2018 President interviewed by ABC News in relation to the northern prison and whether the Society had a preference for the location. He said the Society strongly supports a northern prison and its location would be determined by a process with reference to many factors
21/11/2018 President interviewed by ABC News in relation to electronic monitoring of people accused of family violence. The Society says where a person hasn’t been convicted is a significant intrusion into personal freedom and people may agree to monitoring to secure release from custody
16/11/2018 President hosted the Annual Committees’ Dinner at Seagrass Longpoint, Sandy Bay
16/11/2018 President met with Dion Saturno of Justice Connect
16/11/2018 President and Executive Director met with Patrick Lunn and Susie Winter of the Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania
16/11/2018 President and Executive Director met with the Chief Magistrate
16/11/2018 President and Executive Director met with Kas Pitt QC, Frank Ederle and Gayle Johnston of the Legal Profession Board
16/11/2018 President met with the Chief Justice
15/11/2018 The President wrote to Adrienne Morton to congratulate her on her appointment as President of the Australian Women Lawyers
12/11/2018 President interviewed by ABC radio re “let her speak” campaign on amendments to 194k of the Evidence Act. He referred to the TLRI report on the issue and the submissions made on consent of victim as basis for identifying. Pointed to problems created by that identified by DPP and victims of crime service.
31/10/2018 Council member Ian Arendt and Executive Director briefed members of the Legislative Council on the Family Violence Reforms Act 2018
30/10/2018 The President attended the Northern Prison Expressions of Interest Information Session
29/10/2018 Submissions to department of justice on criminal code amendment bill
18/10/2018 Submissions to legislative council on sentencing, corrections and family violence bills
18/10/2018 President interviewed by Mercury newspaper re Legal Profession Board’s annual report and complaints against lawyers in particular. Article appeared 19 October
12/10/2018 Mercury article regarding the Society’s letter to Minister Ferguson. The President made no further comment
2/10/2018 President met with Minister Barnett re Retails Tenancies Legislation
2/10/2018 Executive Director and President met with the Shadow Attorney-General.
27/9/2018 President spoke to ABC regarding Greens Bill to decriminalise begging. He advised that the Greens as do the government need to provide evidence for the need behind their policy and that we could not consider commenting without seeing legislation and their rationale.
 26/9/2018  President attended the Meet the Legal Profession Networking Event held at the Law Faculty.
 18/9/2018  Law Society President, Deputy Executive Director and PCL Committee members Alex Bobbi and Antony Logan met with the SRO to further discuss FID reforms and other ongoing issues for the profession relating to dealings with the SRO / usage of TRO.
18/9/2018 President spoke to the Mercury about consorting laws. He advised:

  1. Once again appalling lack of consultation.
  2. Initial response, without the benefit of a detailed analysis, too broadly drafted (eg.) serious offence and habitual consorting.
  3.  Intended apparently as a deterrent, not a punishment.  No evidence from interstate backs up that it has been been useful as a deterrent.
11/9/2018 President and ED met with Tasmanian Law Reform Institute representatives.
10/9/2018 Communications with ATO and Centrelink regarding continuing process and communication inefficiencies (deceased estates and dealings with the legal profession) in the absence of dedicated units.
6/9/2018 President and Executive Director met with the Chair and Acting Director of the Legal Aid Commission.
5/9/2018 Executive Director attended a meeting with the Attorney General and members of the library management committee to discuss the Integrated Law Library Service.
4/9/2018 Submission to the Department of Justice in regards to Family Violence Reform Bill 2018
4/9/2018 Submission to the Department of Justice in regards to proposed amendments to the Legal Profession Act 2007 (s458 applications against determinations of the Board; clarification of jurisdictions and procedure).
4/9/2018 President and Executive Director attended the Administration of Justice Forum, organised by the Attorney General.
3/9/2018 President and Deputy Executive Director met with the Treasurer to discuss the Foreign Investor Duty Surcharge and operations of the SRO in general.
28/8/018 Upper House acknowledges Law Society’s significant role in law reform; services to the legal profession; services to the community; and access to justice matters. Reported in Hansard 31 August 2018.
29/8/2018 President interviewed by ABC Radio re emotional abuse decision from Geason J. President says that it appears it may be appealed so it is inappropriate the Society provide any comments at this stage.
25/8/2018 President attended a cocktail function at ASIC.
24/8/2018 President spoke to the Mercury newspaper in relation to US Monsanto/Round up case. Advised still would need to prove causation but likely to make it easier now one court has ruled on the link but will have to wait and see.
22/8/2018 President and Ian Arendt briefed the Legislative Council on the prohibited insignia legislation
17/8/2018 President spoke to Fairfax Media in regards to prohibited insignia legislation
16/8/2018 President briefed Ruth Forrest on prohibited insignia legislation
13/8/2018 President briefed Ella Haddad on prohibited insignia legislation
8/8/2018 President and other council members attended the COMET fundraiser
 1/8/2018  Cybersecurity resources released by Law Society
28/7/2018 Submission to the Recorder of Titles regarding Strata Titles Act Review
19/7/2018 Council member and family law committee chair Trevor McKenna interviewed by ABC AM, ABC News Tasmania, ABC National and ABC TV on the definition of family violence, consequent upon a Notice of Appeal in the matter of the Attorney-General for the State of Tasmania and Lacroix
3/7/2018 Council member and family law committee chair Trevor McKenna interviewed by the Mercury on L v Neasey and the meaning of ‘an offence that involves violence’
2/7/2018 Submissions on the Evaluation of the Tasmanian Legal Assistance Sector filed with the Department of Justice
1/7/2018 Standard Form Contract of Sale 2018 released by Law Society and REIT
29/6/2018 President spoke to ABC in regards to restraint orders and whether comments in social media can give grounds to make.
29/6/2018 President interviewed by ABC on grounds for restraint orders and on the death of Mr Ian Matterson
26/6/2018 Vice-President interviewed by southern cross television in relation to judicial sentencing discretion
26/6/2018 Vice-President was interviewed by Southern Cross news re sentencing
22/6/2018 President wrote to the Treasurer and Leader of the Opposition in relation to the Taxation Related Legislation (Housing Availability and Payroll Relief) Bill 2018
20/06/2018 President meet with Ruth Forrest, SRO, HIA and Property Council regarding FIDS and the Society’s opposition to legislation
20/6/2018 President spoke with ABC in regards to mandatory reporting by clergy of child sex abuse. He advised that the Society would wait for legislation before commenting.
19/6/2017 Submission to the Valuer-General in regards to proposed amendments to the Land Acquistion Act 1993
14/6/2018 President spoke with ABC in regards to the Burnie Courthouse.
7/6/2018 Executive Director met with the Shadow Attorney-General
7/6/2018 Executive Director met with the acting Director of Legal Aid
6/6/2018 President and Executive Director met with the new Dean of the Law School, Tim McCormack
5/6/2018 President interviewed by Fairfax in regards to submissions made re Judges reasoning on appeal. President advised that as far as he was aware no one else had raised the issue and that Judges decide matters on the facts and law rather than on some other basis.
31/5/2018 President interviewed by the Mercury in regards to the Parole Board.
30/5/2018 President interviewed by Mercury in relation to Tim Ellis SC comments about perceived need and reasons for a separate appellate court. The President advised that the appeal court structure had not been raised as an issue with the Society.
23/5/2018 Vice-President interviewed by Southern Cross News in relation to Organised Criminal Groups Legislation Position Paper. He put forward the Society’s position as per the recent council resolution.
22/5/2018 Vice-President interviewed by ABD TV News Qld re consent laws in Tasmania and the proposed amendments to QLD & NSW laws. He advised that Tasmania’s position was that we welcomed debate on law reform. The position in Tasmania was the subject of input from the Society’s Criminal Law Committee at the time the amendments were made. Our experience of the amendments is that they have not resulted in perverse outcomes in relation to rape cases where the new definition has been applied. The Society will not comment on the appropriateness of amendments in other states and that is a matter for the QLD Law Society.
18/5/2018 President interviewed by ABC Northern Tasmania in relation to Organised Criminal Groups Legislation Position Paper
17/5/2018 Submissions on the Statutory Sentencing Discounts for Pleas of Guilty Consultation Paper sent to the Sentencing Advisory Council
16/5/2018 President interviewed by Mercury in relation to Organised Criminal Groups Legislation Paper
15/5/2018 President interviewed by Lawyers Weekly in regards to not holding Law Week activities. Advised target other activities through the year to promote access to justice and legal education
14/5/2018 President interviewed by ABC regarding Organised Criminal Groups legislation
14/5/2018 President and Executive Director attended the Tasmania University Law Students post flood barbeque
11/5/2018 Submission to Tasmania Police on position paper on organised criminal groups
10/5/2018 Executive Director met with the acting Director of Legal Aid
3/5/2018 Executive Director and Ian Arendt attended a Sentencing Advisory Council consultation session on statutory discounts for guilty pleas
2/5/2018 President spoke to the Advocate in regards to the retention and attraction of lawyers, especially young lawyers on the north-west coast
1/5/2018 President wrote to the Principal Registrar of the Federal Court of Australia in regard to the unfilled positions in Hobart of the Registrars of the Federal Court and the AAT, seeking an assurance that both positions will remain Tasmanian based and seeking a timeline for completion
1/5/2018 President wrote to Sandra Taglieri SC and Linda Mason SC to congratulate them on their recent appointment as Senior Counsel
30/4/2018 Vice-President spoke to WIN News on the Organised Criminal Groups Proposed Legislation Position Paper.
 30/4/2018  President spoke to the Examiner in regards to pill testing at concerts
24/4/2018 The Executive Director along with a number of legal practitioners attended an information and consultation session held in Burnie by the Department of Justice in regards to a $15 million redevelopment for the Burnie Court Complex
23/4/2018 President spoke to Advocate in regards to mandatory sentences for assaults on police
23/4/2018 Submission from the Family Law Committee to the Family Law Section of Law Council of Australia in regards to the Australian Law Reform Commission – Family Law Review
19/4/2018 Executive Director met with Department of Justice Deputy Secretary Kristy Bourne to discuss current matters of interest
18/4/2018 Mercury Newspaper article on the Society’s submission to the State Governemnt’s Bail Reform Position Paper
17/4/2018 President, Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director met with the President of the North West Young Lawyers Committee
17/4/2018 Vice-President spoke to the Advocate on Legal Aid’s new Legal Talk initiative, supporting the project and congratulating the Commission on embracing technology to increase access to justice
17/4/2018 President, Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director hosted Leaders Lunch in Ulverstone
16/4/2018 President, Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director met with the President of the Northern Young Lawyers Committee
16/4/2018 President met with the President of the Tasmainian division of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers
16/4/2018 President, Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director hosted Leaders Lunch in Launceston
10/4/2018 President, Deputy Executive Director and PCL Committee representatives Robert Manning and Alex Bobbi met with SRO regarding delays and other stamping issues
10/4/2018 Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director met with the Co-Presidents of the Southern Young Lawyers committee
5/4/2018 President spoke to Sue Bailey from Fairfax in relation to proposed gun laws
29/3/2018 Elder & Succession Law Committee makes submission to the TLRI on the Review of the Guardianship and Administration Act 1995 (Tas)
21/3/2018 President, Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director hosted Leaders Lunches in the South on 21 and 22 March 2018
15/3/2018 Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director attended the Centre for Legal Studies meet the profession event
14/3/2018 President wrote to the Recorder of Titles in relation to the national mortgage form
13/3/2018 President interviewed by the Advocate about challenges, opportunities and changes to practise of law due to technology
9/3/2018 Vice-President and Executive Director attended the State Funeral of Vanessa Goodwin
1-2/3/2018 President, Executive Director and Law Council Director attended a number of meetings including Law Society Presidents, Law Society CEO’s, the Conference of Law Societyies and the Law Council of Australia quarterly director’s meeting
28/2/2018 President spoke to Pia Wirsu Live on ABC radio Northern Tasmanian re legalese and use of plain english
20/02/2018 President interviewed by ABC television in relation to mandatory sentencing
20/02/2018 President interviewed by the Examiner and Advocate on bail, mandatory sentencing and one punch laws
19/02/2018 President spoke to the Mercury newspaper in relation to one punch laws
19/02/2018 President spoke to ABC TV and radio in relation to one punch laws and workplace protest
19/02/2018 Submission to the Department of Justice in relation to the Legal Profession (Prescribed Authorities) Regulations 2008
09/02/2018 Submission to the Department of Justice on Bail Reform Position Paper
07/02/2018 President interviewed by Advocate regarding the Legal Profession Dinner awards and in particular the Young Lawyer’s Award recipient, Alex McKenzie
02/02/2018 President spoke at Opening of the Legal Year Dinner
02/02/2018 President interviewed by WIN news about Opening of the Legal Year Service
02/02/2018 Media Release in relation to opening of the Legal Year Dinner and Award recipients
02/02/2018 President spoke at the Opening of the Legal Year Church Service
23/01/2018 President requested Taswater to add details of contravention/investigation notices and orders to search results
22/01/2018 President interviewed by Examiner in relation to support for northern prison and proposed remand centre
22/01/2018 Vice-President conducted interview with ABC radio in relation to the support of a northern prison and intermediaries
22/01/2018 Vice-President’s comments referred to in Examiner Editorial in support of a northern prison
19/01/2018 President wrote to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia in relation to the removal of divorce lists in Devonport and voicing the Society’s concern
15/01/2018 President interviewed by the Examiner about the government proposed legislation regarding cyber bulling and quoted in the Examiner and the Advocate on 16.1.18
 05/01/2018  Article by Executive Director published in the Mercury ‘Talking Points’ page on the need for adequate funding of the justice sector and soundly based policies
05/01/2018 President and Executive Director quoted in Mercury ‘Tassie 2022’ Law and Order feature
02/01/2018 Vice-President interviewed by Southern Cross television in relation to the government’s review of bail laws
02/01/2018 Vice-President interviewed by Examiner for comment in relation to proposal for a northern prison
01/01/2018 President Interviewed by Fairfax Media and reported in the Examiner regarding bail reform
01/01/2018 President Interview with Win TV by telephone for comment on proposed bail reform
01/01/2018 President Radio interview and online, with ABC regarding proposed bail reform/government discussion paper
27/12/2017 President interviewed by Advocate regarding proposed changes to shoplifting policies – Reported in Advocate Thursday 28 December 2017
21/12/2017 President and Executive Director interviewed by the Mercury newspaper in regards to their 2022 Law and Order feature
15/12/2017 Vice-President makes comment on a northern prison – Examiner Newspaper
14/12/2017 President writes to Chief Magistrate enclosing letter to the Chief Justice re concentrated criminal trial period and the need to take account of practitioner obligations imposed as a result
14/12/2017 President writes to Chief Justice re concentrated criminal trial period and the need to take account of practitioner well-being
14/12/2017 President attends the 2017 Premier’s Southern Christmas Reception
 6/12/2017 Society launches 2018-2020 Strategic Plan.
6/12/2017 President met with the SRO in relation to administrative delays and other concerns affecting the profession.
1/12/2017 President and Executive Director attended CEO’s, President’s, COLS and Law Council of Australia Meetings, representing member and Tasmanian profession interests on a national level.
 29/11/2017 Mercury Online – media release quoted in relation to the Support of Judicial Appointment Process.
29/11/2017 Media Release on Support of Judicial Appointment Process.
23/11/2017 Executive Director interviewed by WIN re Phasing Out of Suspended Sentences Bill.
23/11/2017 President & Executive Director met with the Minister for Justice and discussed issues of interest.
22/11/2017 President interviewed by ABC radio re Phasing Out of Suspended Sentences Bill. Excerpt of interview on ABC radio news.
17/11/2017 President spoke at Annual Law Society Committees’ Dinner.
17/11/2017 President attended the Forum of Asbestos Free Tasmania  as Chair of the Law Foundation.
17/11/2017 President quoted in Mercury article on swearing in of Geason J re mandatory sentencing.
16/11/2017 Executive Director quoted in ABC news online article on phasing out of suspended sentences legislation.
16/11/2017 Media Release on Same Sex Marriage Survey.
16/11/2017 President spoke at swearing in of Justice Geason.
16/11/2017 Executive Director interviewed by and appeared on ABC television on Phasing Out of Suspended Sentences Bills.
16/11/2017 Executive Director briefed the Legislative Council on Mandatory Sentencing For Serious Sexual Offences Against Children, Assaults on Off Duty Police Officers and Phasing Out of Suspended Sentences Bills.
16/11/2017 President interviewed by ABC, WIN & Southern Cross on appointment of Geason J, number of judges and mandatory sentencing. President appeared on WIN and ABC news.