Young Lawyer CPD Lecture Series Policy
For detailed committee guide refer to the Young Lawyer Committee Guide.
YLC CPD coordinator
- All YLCs are to appoint a CPD coordinator at, or soon after, the AGM.
- The Society is to be notified of the coordinator’s contact details (phone and email) as soon as possible after the AGM to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This coordinator is to be the CPD contact point with the Society to streamline CPD arrangements.
Alternative YLC CPD contact person
Where absolutely necessary, another YLC committee member can be nominated if they are arranging a CPD event and the CPD coordinator is (for some reason) unavailable. However, the Society is to be notified of their phone and email details at the time of confirming the CPD event with email@example.com.
CPD event planning
Each YLC is to provide the Society with its schedule of proposed CPD topics as early as possible in the new calendar year of the new committee’s term to avoid any conflict with the Society’s scheduled CPD events.
CPD event bookings – securing your dates
The dates in Table 1 below are pencilled into the Society calendar but are not secure until confirmed at least 6 weeks prior to the event date (*some dates excepted as asterisked).
CPD event times
When considering and finalising a CPD event, YLCs are to follow the procedures as listed here.
- Use the Young Lawyer CPD Lecture Series Booking Form to gather CPD event and presenter information.
- Send through presenter slides and/or paper at least 24 hours before the event, with instructions about whether the slides and/or paper are to be distributed before, at (F2F) or after the event.
- Complete a Presenter Consent to Record Form before the event and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org if the event is to be recorded.
- Ensure all the presenter information in the Young Lawyer CPD Lecture Series Booking Form is completed, and the form emailed to email@example.com at least 6 weeks prior to the event. The Society will only list the event on its website when all information is received.
- A YLC CPD listing will be removed from the Society website if the following critical information – CPD event title, presenter and/or time – is changed within the 6 weeks leading to the CPD event. The YLC may then consider listing in another month.
Table 1. Available YL CPD event dates for 2020
|Thurs 6 February*||Thurs 20 February*|
|Thurs 5 March||Thurs 19 March|
|Thurs 2 April||Thurs 16 April|
|Thurs 7 May||Thurs 21 May|
|Thurs 4 June||Thurs 18 June|
|Thurs 2 July||Thurs 16 July|
|Thurs 6 August||Thurs 20 August|
|Thurs 3 September||Thurs 17 September|
|Thurs 1 October||Thurs 15 October|
|Thurs 5 November||Thurs 19 November|
CPD event evaluation
- A CPD presentation evaluation survey (Survey Monkey) will be emailed to attendees after each event by the Society. Once the survey is closed after approx.14 days, a copy of the summary will be emailed to the respective YLC president and YLC CPD coordinator.
- Any feedback, or questions asked of the presenter (in the survey), is to be sent to the presenter along with the thank you correspondence, within a month of the event.
The CPD event – F2F
The YLC CPD contact person is to:
- attend the venue at least 10 minutes early;
- meet and greet the presenter and all other guests (chair, facilitator, panellists etc);
- set up the room;
- get a run down from the Society on the technology to ensure its smooth running. Most CPD events are live-streamed to the hubs and, for rural/remote practitioners, to some desktops;
- welcome attendees and ensure they sign the CPD registration sheet.
- Introduce the presenter and run through housekeeping such as emergency exits and toilets etc;
- remain until the last attendee has left the Society;
- leave the room clean and tidy (removing left over event materials) and, if any catering is supplied, clear away dishes, stack and turn on dishwasher; and
- turn off technology and lights.
The CPD event – webinar
It is essential that the Society has the presenter’s email address and mobile for zoom arrangements.
The link to A Practical Guide to Presenting is to be included in early correspondence with your presenters.
Webinar link for registrants
- The Society will create the registrant webinar link with a password and email details directly to registrants.
- Papers and/or slide PDFs will be sent in that email if the YLC has previously provided instructions that slides and/or paper are to be distributed before the event.
- Any presenter materials are to be supplied by the YLC at least 24 hours before the live event.
Webinar link for presenter (and YLC event organiser)
Both the presenter’s and YLC event organiser’s zoom link will be generated by the Society and sent to each, individually, 24 hours before the webinar.
Presenter zoom orientation session
- The YLC is to inform the presenter that a zoom webinar orientation session is essential.
- The Society will host this zoom orientation session with your presenter.
- The YLC event organiser is to ensure the presenter zoom orientation session is scheduled for a few days before their live event, and to liaise with presenter about this session, ascertaining with 2-3 proposed times and dates.
- For this presenter session, a zoom link will be generated by the Society and sent directly to the presenter.
- The aim of this session is to simulate the live event so presenter needs to be at the location, and using the device they will use, for the live event.
- The YLC event organiser is to ensure the presenter has their slides (or a draft version) available, and open on their desktop, to test screen share.
List of registrants
- The day before the event a list of registrants will be sent to the YLC event organiser for their records, and to be sent to presenter.
- Webinar registrations will close at 3pm on the event day. The Society will send the YLC an updated list if there are any last-minute registrations.
The live webinar
- The Society will open the webinar approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled broadcast time.
- The presenter will have been asked to log into the webinar at least 10 minutes before the live broadcast.
- A holding/welcome slide will be supplied by Society to be added to the top of the presenter’s slide pack.
- The Society will host and manage any logistical matters during the session.
- The Society will also record the event if prior consent has been received.
Summary of key deadlines
|Notification of CPD Coordinator contact details||As soon as possible after the AGM|
|Notification of alternative CPD contact person details||At time of confirming the CPD event date|
|Provide proposed schedule of CPD topics to the Society||As early as possible in the new calendar year of the committee’s term|
|Confirm pencilled CPD event date||At least 6 weeks prior to the event|
|Provide request and reasons for need to go outside the 4-5pm time slot||At least 6 weeks prior to the event|
|Provide completed Young Lawyer CPD Lecture Series Booking Form (including, where relevant, Presenter Consent to Record Form)||At least 6 weeks prior to the event|
|Send through presenter’s slides and/or paper and whether either or both are to be distributed before, at (if F2F) or after the event||At least 24 hours prior to the event|
Hub contact details
Primary contact for all YL CPD management and queries – no matter which hub the presenter is attending (for F2F events) – is Carmen Bold in the Society’s Hobart office.
Where it may be necessary to work with a hub, the additional information below is provided for any on-the-ground queries at the time of the CPD activity.
Hobart (Law Society of Tasmania)
Contact person: Carmen Bold
Phone: 62 344 133
For technology issues and any other enquiries call the Society on 62 344 133 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Devonport (Rae & Partners)
Contact person: Zoe Reynolds
Phone: 64 240 333
Burnie (McLean McKenzie & Topfer)
Phone: 64 301 555